Monday 2 May 2016

Hodge Podge S'more Pie

A few weeks ago we didn't have any dessert in the house and my husband kept asking for pie.
Well, Jamie Oliver had posted this little video on Instagram:

A video posted by Jamie Oliver (@jamieoliver) on

And since my husband is a huge fan of chocolate pie (chocolate pudding in a pie crust), I thought I'd give this elevated chocolate pie a shot.
I had to be strategic because I had limited ingredients but I managed to pull it off and the results were amazing. I used the following three recipes to bring a version of this pie together. I'm sure the original recipe is a thousand times better but you have to work with what you have when there must be pie.

 Yep, my pie wound up a little burnt- I left it a minute too long under the broiler, but it enhanced that toasted marshmallow flavour.

Even though there's a lot of parts to this, it didn't take long to put together. I used the following three recipes:
Crust: Blissful Blog- Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
I used this recipe because I make the greek yogurt cheesecake often (you should try it, it's delightful in the summer with fresh fruit and good company) and the crust is one of my husbands and my favourite things about it.

Ganache: Allrecipes.com-Chocolate Ganache
I used this recipe because it got a five star rating and I had exactly one cup of whip cream in my fridge. I only had 8oz of chocolate so I added an ounce of chocolate chips.

Marshmallow Meringue: Food and Wine- Hot Cocoa Frosting with Meringue Frosting
It took me a little while to find a recipe I could work with (I had a little more than a cup and a half of sugar). This recipe was the simplest I found and I had everything I needed to make the meringue. I'll definitely use this recipe again if I make this pie again- which I intend to.

Method:
1) Make the crust first and while it's baking, make the ganache.
2) When the crust is done and out, pour in the ganache.
3) Make the meringue.
4) Once the meringue was done I just plopped it on top of the pie and put it right under the broiler. It worked just fine but I think next time I'll let the ganache and crust set and cool before I add the meringue. I'm curious if it will make any difference.
5) I put the pie under the broiler for about five minutes. I managed to get it out before the meringue was too burnt- it had that yummy caramelized flavour. Next time I'll sit in front of the oven and take it out just before it burns.
6) Once out of the oven, let cool and set.

The rich chocolate is so satisfying against the crunch of the crust and the meringue, well, it's really sweet, fluffy, just like a toasted marshmallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment