Monday 23 May 2016

Sourdough


Last year at this time I was activating a dehydrated San Fransisco sourdough starter. I wrote about it and kombucha on my other blog- Salt + Vinegar- Cultures.

It's a year later and my sourdough making is still going strong. What was once a tedious and sometimes arduous task has become a rewarding stress reliever.

Since I've started making sourdough we've moved from an apartment to a house. Our apartment was particularly warm- especially in the summer- and my starter would proof quickly. It suffered in the winter, however, and I found myself with small loaves despite thorough kneading. Once we moved to a house my sourdough consistency changed again and I realized I needed to actually think about my sourdough and handle it with more knowledge.

So here is how I handle it:
I always keep a jar of it in the fridge- when I am making bread I take 1/4 cup to feed for  bread and another 1/4 cup to feed and put back in the fridge. Anything leftover I put in my compost.
I leave my fridge starter out until it doubles in size then I put it right back into the fridge. The thing I've realized about having starter that's always in the fridge is that it takes longer to proof after feeding and more time to activate the gluten when kneading. Ideally I would feed my fridge starter at least twice a week. I don't but I should.
If you keep your starter in the fridge you have to feed it three times before you use it to make bread. I've started leaving my sourdough to proof for 12+ hours before I feed it again. In my apartment during the summer it would proof in four hours and in the winter about the same. In this cold house, well, it takes a while. Since my starter doesn't proof quickly I just let it do its thing and get to it when I will. I probably let it proof longer than I should but it makes a supple dough that's easy to knead. I also suspect it helps cut down my kneading time.
After my third feeding I keep my eye on it and when it has more than doubled I make my bread. This can take more than four hours. The instructions say you need to use it between 3-4 hours after feeding it to so the starter is active. Sometimes it takes three hours for it to get started growing so wait until I see rapid growth in a short time.

In the Cultures For Health video on How to Make Sourdough she said that it takes about 20 minutes of kneading to fully activate the gluten (Find it here- Cultures for Health- How to Make Sourdough).
When I first started making sourdough it took me between 45 minutes to an hour to get it. I would have to gear myself up for it because it was not how I wanted to spend an hour.
Now it takes me 20 minutes or less. I think it's for the following reasons:
- My starter is moist and I'm careful with how much water I add to the bread recipe: I get my dough just dry enough so that it doesn't stick to my hands while I'm kneading. Once I add all the flour the recipe calls for I don't need any more flour (not even on my kneading board).
- Longer proofing time makes my dough easier to handle (in my experience)
- I take all my pent up aggression out on that poor piece of dough

The lovely thing about our house is we have a wood burning stove in the basement. My husband would keep a fire going through the night during the colder months. I would place my dough a safe distance from the stove and leave it overnight to rise. It rose beautifully and was ever so fluffy.
We don't have fires through the night now but my bread is still rising nicely (if not as high).

As with everything, getting to know what you're working with helps you get the most out of it.

The best thing about making your own sourdough is buttering it when it's still hot from the oven. My son and I eat half a loaf for breakfast when I make it. It's the only time I'll go without protein in the morning.

It's a small thing but it makes life good.



No comments:

Post a Comment